Welcome....I hope you are hungry!!

This is the place to share my experiments. We strive to use ingredients around the house using mostly fresh ingredients.

If you try any of these creations and like, or dislike them, let us know!!



Friday, January 25, 2013

Brian's Spaghetti Sauce

When it comes to spaghetti sauce, I am not one just to pour it out of the jar or can.  Mind you, I also will not claim that I make it from scratch either.  That said, I took my aunt by surprise when we had them over for dinner.

While anyone can do this and it is a pretty no nonsense embellishment, I am surprised when I hear that most people don't add to their favorite sauce except for the occasional meatball or sausage.

The basic ingredients are as follows:

1 bottle of Spaghetti sauce (I prefer Mushroom Prego, Ragu tends to be to sweet)
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
4 cloves of crushed garlic
1 pound of ground turkey (or beef of course)
2 cup red wine (two buck chuck is just fine)

For extra spice, I add fennel (not my wife's favorite)

So what you want to do is brown your meat with the crushed garlic (I use a garlic press).  In a separate pan (most likely the one you will cook your sauce) saute your mushrooms in a little bit of butter and 1 cup of wine.  Once they are to your preferred texture, combine the browned meat and spaghetti sauce into the pan and the second cup of wine.  Bring to low heat, and start the spaghetti.  

For properly cooked spaghetti, bring the water to a boil, place the pasta in the pan and cook for exactly 10 minutes.  The pasta will be a perfect al dente.

Now I am not big on stiring the sauce in with the noodles.  Serve the pasta then the sauce over.  If you must add Parmesan, you must.  That's it!   Tell me what you think!

1 comment:

  1. While your wife will tolerate fennel, she actually really enjoys meatballs w/sausage.
    :)

    ReplyDelete